Clapham Common Management Advisory Committee (CCMAC) is pleased to announce the programme of concerts on the Bandstand this summer.
The programme offers a diverse mix of musical styles celebrating the community in which we live with something for everyone, ranging from Afro-Cuban to classical and pop, and performances from traditional brass bands to up-and-coming singer-songwriters.
As part of The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, the programme kicks off at 12 noon on Saturday 4 June with Common People, a line up showcasing the talent of Clapham’s diverse community including students from the Academy of Contemporary Music based on Bromell’s Road. There’ll also be community stalls including Froglife, a national wildlife charity committed to the conservation of amphibians and reptiles. Dr Bike will be on hand to service bicycles and the Clapham Society will have a history walk on the Common at 4pm.
New to performing on the Bandstand this year will be Brass United Social Club, a seventeen-piece band ‘blaring out pop classics and party bangers’; Tequila Brass, bringing Mexican and Spanish influences to the American songbook and pop hits of the 60s; and London City Brass, a progressive group made up of players from various backgrounds across a wide range of ages.
Los Domingos bring some Afro-Cuban beats to the Bandstand and The Honeys some swing. With choirs based in Brixton, Clapham, Tooting, Vauxhall and Balham, Real Voices will comprise nearly 80 voices offering an impressive choral display on the Bandstand this summer.
Clapham Common Bandstand faithfuls returning include South London Concert Band, Junction Jazz, The Crooks Saxes, Lambeth Wind Orchestra, Graham Pike Big Band, Putney & Wimbledon Brass Band and Crystal Palace Band.
Concerts are guaranteed free to all with a grant funded by Lambeth Council. All concerts start at 2pm and end at 4pm. Technical support is supplied by Clapham’s Omnibus Theatre.
Here are the performers –
- Saturday 4 June – Common People
- Saturday 11 June – Brass United Social Club
- Sunday 12 June – Los Domingos
- Saturday 18 June – Junction Jazz
- Sunday 19 June – The Crooks Saxes
- Saturday 25 June – Lambeth Wind Orchestra
- Sunday 26 June. South London Concert Band
- Saturday 9 July – Putney & Wimbledon Brass Band
- Sunday 10 July – The Honeys
- Saturday 16 July – Real Voices
- Sunday 17 July – Crystal Palace Band
- Saturday 23 July – Tequila Brass
- Sunday 24 July – Graham Pike Big Band
- Saturday 30 July – The Macaroons
- Sunday 31 July – London City Brass