The following organisations and clubs regularly use the Common for a wide range of activities, hobbies and pastimes. Follow the external links to find more information.
Please note in some cases you will need to book a pitch and you may be charged. More details can be found on the ‘Better’ website. Better manages the Borough’s keep-fit facilities on behalf of Lambeth Council. Their phone number is 020 7223 9837.
Lambeth Council’s website also has some important information.
- There are nine football pitches on Clapham Common. Booking is crucial and you will be charged a fee to play.
- Jeff’s Chippy FC plays in the central-London Super Sunday League
- Little League football, teams for Under 9s and Under 13s
- For women-only football phone 07912862970 or join Clapham Kicks, another female-only team.
- London Titans 2 Brewers, a gay football team, plays home matches on the Common
- If you want flexibility you can join Flexifootball which hooks people up with teams that play on the Common
- There’s also bubble football at Clapham Bubble Football
- Tennis:There are five flood-lit tennis courts which re-opened in the spring after a refurbishment. Ring 020 7738 6834 to book a court. More information on leagues and ladders can be found here. Alternatively, phone Nigel and Sally on 0750 328 1732 or email.
- Bowls:Contact Better on 020 7223 9856 for more information.
- Running and triathlon: Clapham Runners, Run Club, Clapham Pioneers and Clapham Chasers all use the Common in their training programmes.
- Clapham Model Yacht Club: Visit their sit here.
- Fishing: You can apply for a fishing permit by following this link
- Skatepark inc. BMX track is free to use and booking is not required. Visit their site here.
- Softball: There is a softball pitch on the Common but Clapham Softball practice on Wandsworth Common. More details can be found on the ‘Better’ website.
- Cricket: There is a cricket pitch on Clapham Common but Clapham Cricket is a wandering team. More details can be found on the ‘Better’ website.
- Touch Rugby: www.tryrugby.com
- Basketball: There is a basketball court on the Common. It is free to use and booking is not necessary.
- Australian Rules Football: Kanga Footy
- Australian Rules Football: Wandsworth Demons
- Frisbee is also played on the Common: Join the 2014 European champions here.
Clapham Common Groups
The following groups are very active across the Common.
- Bandstand Beds brings local people together to grow food on the Common
- Friends of Clapham Common works to enhance the beauty of the Common
- Clapham Society aims to improve the quality of life in Clapham and on the Common. It has a sub-committee specifically concerned with the landscape and ecology of open spaces in Clapham.
- The Spinney is a nursery run by Clapham Manor Primary School & Children’s Centre and has a garden for Natural Thinkers activities.